do this & skip your workout for the day
This weekend, because apparently we have nothing better to do with our time, the hubby and I decided to re-paint our living room. Like, paint it ourselves. Not hire a painter. Schlep to Home Depot, come back with the wrong colour twice, and get it right on the third trip. One trip shy of a divorce, by the way.
Whenever we paint anything, I am stuck on edging. I have to do the overhead I-want-to-stick-this-paintbrush-in-my-own-eye work around the moldings. J gets to roll paint. Not sure what past deed I am still making up for, but this is the division of labour we've sorted out. I spent the better part of Saturday evening and night with my arms overhead. And aching. I didn't work out on Saturday, so I enjoyed that bit of self-punishment in a way.
So - go ahead. Hire painters.
If you've done any of the following activities, you can officially skip your workout for the day. I authorize it.
- Shoveled a really long driveway.
- Mowed (riding mowers do not count) or raked a really big lawn.
- Walked around a giant craft show all day with your preschooler. (This was my workout on Sunday... thanks, One of a Kind Show, for the dehydration and ringing in my ears.)
- Helped your friends move. (Who are these friends & why do they not grow up and hire movers, by the way?)
- Went to the beach, the park, the woods or any other natural attraction for the day.
- Hosted a children's birthday party, holiday dinner or any other marathon of entertaining and food preparation.
- Spent the better part of a day traipsing around your local mega-mall hunting for school supplies, party decorations, Christmas presents... you get the idea. (Bonus points if at least one child is physically on you - in a sling, carrier, on your hip or throwing a tantrum while you drag them.)
- Undertook a full-on spring cleaning of your entire home.
- Antiqued. (I don't really know what that is but it sounds exhausting.)
- Painted a really big room (obviously...).
What would you add to this list? Give me your best no-workout excuse!
Originally posted November 2011 at Erica Ehm's Yummy Mummy Club on Dara's Sweaty Mummy blog.