lose fat with low-carb lunches
A huge part of fitness -- especially bodyfat-oriented goals -- involves the fuel that goes into the body you are trying to sculpt and strengthen. You can hit the gym and kick your own ass around the block five days each week, but if you are eating processed foods and/or overeating on a regular basis, you'll never see the results you deserve.
You deserve those #BBresults!
When we work with personal training clients, they keep food journals so we can strategize together and make small, dietary improvements to help reach their fitness goals and support their training. What we've learned over the years: It's tricky to eat lower-calorie and lower-carbohydrate in order to support fat loss goals while still feeding their partners and kids in a way that keeps everyone satisfied, healthy and not secretly ordering pizza after mommy goes to bed. Chances are, hubby & kids don't want to sacrifice potatoes, rice, pasta and bread at dinner every night just because you went a little too crazy over the summer and want to take off a few pounds before your January beach vacation.
Here's the simple solution that helps our BB clients slim down without sacrificing those family dinners:
1. Never make two dinners just because you feel you need to cut down on "extras." Prepare those healthy family meals that everyone loves, with lots of vegetables and salad on the side. When you serve yourself, round out your plate with plenty of lean meats and produce, and a smaller serving of the starch (rice, potato, bread, pasta, etc.) which is likely responsible for that muffin top you're fighting lately. Everybody needs carbohydrates, but only the most active people (kids, manual labourers, athletes) need large servings of starchy carbohydrates. Instead, choose less starchy vegetables that are full of filling fibre and water, plus tons of vitamins -- veggies like asparagus, leafy greens, parsnips, beets, broccoli, cauliflower, and whatever your faves are. The more colourful, the more vitamins and, usually, the less sugar a veggie has.
2. Cut back on unnecessary "extras"—like starches and sugars—at breakfast & lunch, when you are likely eating alone at home or at work! This is such a simple strategy and it TRULY works. Kick your day off with a high-protein breakfast; it's proven to stoke your metabolism and help you burn fat an avoid cravings later in the day! Then, plan a lunch packed with protein, fat, and lots of fibre from healthy greens, nuts, seeds, and maybe a bit of fruit for dessert.
Mornings too busy to cook? Try these make-ahead muffin cup frittatas or 5-ingredient breakfast casserole!
Here are some go-to lunch solutions (including some vegetarian options)!
These high-protein lunches help you keep carbohydrates and calories in check so you can indulge with your family at dinner and still see the sculpting effects of your workouts. PLUS all of them are ready in 10 minutes of prep or less:
- 3 egg omelette with feta cheese, spinach, & oregano. Serve with salsa.
- Homemade or healthy canned soups that contain 4-8 g protein per serving, & salad topped with goat cheese on the side.
- Salad of spinach, arugula or greens of choice with 1/2 avocado, 2 hard boiled eggs & your fave veggies, sprinkled with red wine vinegar & olive oil.
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa tossed with 1/4 cup chopped raw almonds, arugula, tomato, cucumber, & 1/2 avocado, sprinkled with lemon juice & olive oil.
- Sliced lean pork or turkey sausage sautéed in coconut or olive oil with brussel sprouts (halved), kale or other greens, frozen peas, garlic, onion, & crushed chili flakes.
- 1/3 package of extra firm organic tofu, stir fried with garlic, onion, broccoli, bok choy, cauliflower, mushroom, or greens of choice—use low-sodium soy, fish sauce, curry powder or paste, lime, &/or hot sauces for flavour.
- 1/2 can or full can light tuna (packed in water) combined with 1/2 cup chickpeas, tomato, cucumber, celery, red onion, & parsley, sprinkled with lemon & olive oil.
The point is not to torture yourself. These meals are filling, satisfying, nutritious and easy to prepare! They will hold you until dinner time, keep you within your dietary and fitness goals, and help get you out of that turkey sandwich and tuna on salad drudgery. You know what we're talking about...