Healthyish Spiced Carrot Muffins
Gluten-free, sugar-free, vegan baking is awesome. No, really, it's awesome. Or - at least - it CAN be awesome when executed by experienced gluten-free, vegan chefs. You know what else is awesome? Just enjoying your freaking muffin without the guilt, calorie counting or carb worries.
Shoot for that old 80/20 rule. Eat healthfully and without overindulgence 80% of the time, and completely with love for food and abandon the other 20% of the time. If you can find treat recipes you love (like this one) that happen to include healthy perks, bonus!
Here's a great compromise between your practical side and your secretly-eats-ice-cream-standing-up-in-front-of-the-freezer side. This muffin recipe is moist like a cakey bakery muffin, with a fraction of the sugar and calories, and tons more fiber. It tastes like a treat and it is a treat. It just isn't going to give you a coronary. My kids and I have made this recipe time after time after time after time, and it always tastes fantastic.
Kids can help combine dry ingredients, beat wet ingredients, and grate the carrots on a box grater! And they are always up for some taste testing, in my experience.
Spiced Carrot Muffins
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour (white will also do - no judgement here!)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt (I recommend a higher fat yogurt, like a balkan, not a 0%)
- 4 tbsp. coconut oil or butter, melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3 carrots, shredded (about 2 to 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, ground
- 1/2 tsp. ginger, fresh grated (or 1/4 tsp. if using dried)
- Line or lightly grease muffin tin and preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In large bowl, stir flour, sugar, powder, soda, salt & spices (except ginger if using fresh).
- In separate bowl, whisk egg, yogurt, oil, vanilla and fresh ginger.
- Add wet mix to dry mix and stir just until combined.
- Fold carrots into batter.
- Spoon into muffin tin and bake 18-20 minutes.