grilled sesame chicken + thai cashew salad
It’s grilling season! I pretty much put my oven on permanent strike from mid-June to mid-September, and dinners are often simple salads with a yummy grilled side dish. I often do the prep work in advance -- which in this case is dumping ingredients into a zip lock bag and then refrigerating -- and cooking duty is often delegated out to the husband while I sit outside and enjoy the early evening sun on the patio.
One of my go-to weeknight meals are these Sesame Chicken Skewers paired with a simple yet super flavourful Thai-inspired cashew salad. This dinner is low carb, but packed with protein and healthy fats so it’s both satisfying to eat and helps to make up for the beer I may or may not enjoy during my patio time...
sesame chicken skewers
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- 1/3 cup Tamari
- 2 inch nub of grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
1. Chop chicken into small pieces and put into large ziplock bag. 2. Dump in remaining ingredients for marinade, seal, and use hands to mix up (you could do this in a bowl or use the bag to save yourself the dishes); marinate all day, or at least 30 minutes. 3. Meanwhile, soak skewers in water so they don't burn on the bbq. 4. Thread chicken on skewers and grill on medium, flipping occasionally until cooked through.
...while chicken is grilling, throw together this delicious thai cashew salad...
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp fish sauce (or extra tamari if vegetarian)
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 cloves minced fresh garlic or 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp maple syrup or honey
- salt & pepper
Thoroughly mix the above, and dress the following:
- 1-2 red peppers, sliced thinly
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped and quartered
- 2-3 carrots, peeled into “noodles” (after discarding skin, just keep peeling down carrot into strips)
- 1 cup cashews
- generous amount of chopped fresh cilantro and basil
Recipe: Kristen Spencer
Kristen Spencer trains at the BB locations in Trinity Bellwoods and Liberty Village. She is a mommy to Nate, nutrition nerd, and lover of life in the city. You can book Kristen for completely customized in-home BB personal training and nutrition consulting, and be your fittest ever!